Friday, August 24, 2012

From Ikea Bedspread to Headboard Part III

In my previous post I have shown you how I made the slipcover. I hope you read those.
Now comes the headboard. In my opinion the Bed frame is plain to encourage you to make it your own. We wanted to have more comfort and to have pillows keep from falling through the spaces.
  FJELLSE Bed frame IKEA Solid wood, a hardwearing natural material.Ikea FJELLSE Bed frame, pine

The pillow covers that came with the bedspread had a great piping detail so I wanted to keep that intact. I opened up the two long sides and one short side of the pillow cover. One of those long sides had a zipper. I saved that for some other  project. (You never know when you need zippers )
The pillow covers now covered most of the front and back of the headboard.   
 I added center panels from the left over fabric from the sofabed slipcover. I then added the top strip to the front first and back. The top strip is the contrast side of the quilt. I have to admit I forgot the old mantra  ( Right sides together) but it made a nice added detail to the cover.  I added a strip of the binded edge left overs to the bottom of the front so it would look good and tuck down between the mattress and frame and finished the back edge.
I then had to built up the cover to give it strength and comfort. I used a cardboard box for a backboard and covered it with a 3 thin foam squares. 

It all worked out well and I even had left over fabric. When I visit this winter I will make some contrast pillows with the left over fabric from the bedspread and the zippers. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment